March 7: Build
Location: At a private home (you will receive location by email).
March 21: Location TBD
2010 Pinewood Derby Official Race Requirements
Attitude Specifications: The Pinewood Derby is the only competitive event in Cub Scouts and we therefore require everyone maintain a healthy perspective and contribute to an enjoyable atmosphere. The golden rule of the 2010 Pinewood Derby is:
“Good Sportsmanship is Required at All Times.”
Car Specifications: Cars may race if they conform to the following specifications, as interpreted by the race officials, at race-day check in:
- Maximum car size may not exceed 7” length x 2 ¾” in width.
- Minimum width between wheels shall be 1 ¾”.
- Minimum ground clearance between car bottom and track shall be 3/8”. Be careful if you place weights on the bottom of your car.
- Car weight may not exceed 5 ounces. Heavier cars move faster.
- No wheel bearings, bushings, springs, starting devices, loose, or moving weights or parts are allowed.
- All four tires must simultaneously touch the track.
- Standard sized tires only. The tires that come with your kit are good and may be lightly sanded to remove burrs. Other tires are permitted, provided they are very nearly the same diameter and thickness as the standard ones.
- The only permitted lubricant is Teflon powder. No oil, graphite, or other lubricant as these soil the track.
- Car bottoms must be entirely black. This helps our laser timer “see” your car as it crosses the finish line and stops the clock in your lane.
See pictures from the 2009 Pinewood Derby here.
Pictures from 2010: